Monday, February 23, 2009

Carnival: Etsy and Me

Blog Carnival archive - etsybloggers

A year and a half ago if someone asked me about Etsy – my response would be – “what the heck is Etsy”? Well I have learned a lot during that short time. One of my closest friend, Marion, http://mademarion.etsy.com, had started selling on Etsy and suggested that I look into it for my jewelry. Up until that point, although I had been doing various crafts for years, embroidery, quilting, crocheting, knitting, I had only just started designing jewelry – all of which I would make and give away. Even after checking out about Etsy, I really couldn’t imagine myself opening a shop and actually selling my work; but there I was signing away. Then they asked the ultimate question: What is the name of your shop? Something I hadn’t given much thought to. As you all know by now, I chose "MagdaleneJewels" – very befitting since I have always thought of Mary Magdalene as one of the strongest woman since the beginning of Christianity.
Totally uncertain of what to expect once my shop was opened, something I hadn't thought about, now I had to actually describe each piece of jewelry. I found this the most difficult because when I design a piece of my jewelry it is something that comes from within, a feeling, an idea in my head, and a little piece of me. Coincidentally, I have been working on a project with a few other Etsians with Marion Barnett,
http://artmixter.etsy.com, who is doing research for a book she is writing. Marion took the time to look at my shop, making a few suggestions and comments; but what surprised me most was how she viewed my pieces as being very Romantic and Feminine, which completely describes me. So in that respect, I guess I have been successful in bringing forth myself in my work. My biggest success I think was doing a video showcasing the pieces in my shop – from that I have continued to get quite a lot of custom orders.
I can truly say what I enjoy most about Etsy is the friends I have made through the different teams I have joined; Bbest, Etsy Bloggers, and Plugger’s United. Although our crafts range in so many different directions, we have closeness, almost like a second family.

5 comments:

Live, Love, Laugh, Write! said...

Great article - I'm really glad your one of us! I agree with Marion - your pieces are very feminine and romantic. I wonder what my pieces say about me? Hmm...now there's a scary thought >_>

Yankeegirl said...

I love your jewelry MJ and I've been lucky to know you through the Bbesters!! I feel the same way about Etsy and the people I've "met" along the way!

Fused Glass said...

I also feel the same way about my Etsy teams. The friends that I've made are very precious to me and I value there comments & advise. I also agree with Marion!

Memories for Life said...

Great story...so glad you found Etsy :)

storybeader said...

it's amazing that everyone always mentions the friends they have met on etsy. And your jewelry is very feminine and brilliant! BTW, this week, Magdalene Jewels will be featured in storybeader's Etsy Artisan Interview - at http://storybeader.blogspot.com